University of Sheffield 3 University of York 0 The University of Sheffield Men’s 2s team...
">

University of Sheffield 3 University of York 0

The University of Sheffield Men’s 2s team were comfortable 3-0 winners against York University 2s at Norton.

During the opening 10 minutes, the home side stamped their authority on the game, looking particularly threatening on the left-hand side with effective link-up play between James Smith and Damir Mulavdic.

This pressure culminated in the game’s opening goal when some intricate build-up led to right-winger Joe Francis expertly cutting back for Smith, whose emphatic finish surprised a few members of a sparse crowd.

Despite York occasionally threatening from set-pieces, they struggled to stem the flow of chances from Jack Gallagher’s team – his back four looking more than comfortable. Dan Davies hit the bar with an effortless turn and shot on the edge of the box, before Joe Medcalfe’s header was tipped over by York’s goalkeeper.

In stoppage time at the end of the first half Sheffield made it 2-0, with Albert Davis displaying some outstanding footwork on the edge of the penalty area and a through ball which allowed James Smith to double his account for the afternoon.

The second-half led to further dominance for Sheffield, combining neat possession with more direct balls into their tireless focal point Mulavdic. York had no chances of concern for goalkeeper Alex Mooney, a bare 11 struggling as the home-side put in some hefty tackles – Tom Inglis particularly susceptible.

More chances came and went, Joe Medcalfe missing a free-header when it was easier to score than miss.

Sheffield finally made the game safe with 20 minutes to go with an in swinging corner from Dan Davies which found centre-back Jaspar Khajawa, who headed home from six yards out.

The display leaves Sheffield second in the table as they approach the final stretch of the season.