She has been at the University of Sheffield for six years and in her final...
">

She has been at the University of Sheffield for six years and in her final year Nottingham-born Lianne Sellors has finally achieved her golden BUCS Nationals goal.

Lianne, a sixth year medicine student, currently spends a lot of her time on placement but still finds time for her passion of trampolining amid the stress of the working week.

“I just have to make sure that when I get to trampolining I can forget about work/revision for two hours, I can see my friends and I can focus on training and coaching our other members.”

Around the age of seven Lianne took up trampolining after attending a summer camp during the summer holidays. The coaches were immediately impressed and invited her to join the trampolining club – she said she was “hooked from there” and ended up competing at national level for the next ten years.

Now at 23-years-old she points to Anna Dogonadze and Karen Cockburn as her inspirations in the sport:

“Anna was the oldest female to compete in the 2012 Olympics, at 39 years old.She’s a teacher and she still finds the time to train and compete at the highest level.”

Lianne states that everyone finds different aspects of trampolining difficult but for her it’s the confidence and commitment in completing some of the moves:

“It’s very easy to over-think some of the more complicated moves and you have to rely on muscle memory. There have been a number of times over the years that I have ‘forgotten’ how to do skills I have been doing for years – once to the point I would not attempt a single somersault without support. It takes a lot of time and patience to work through these mental blocks and I had to rely heavily on the clubs coaches.”

At BUCS Nationals, Lianne was one of the university’s shining lights, securing gold in what she describes as a “proud moment”, following in the footsteps of world championship-winning gymnast Bryony Page, who was also a part of the club:

“I felt a huge amount of pressure and expectation and I was very nervous. It was the support of my friends and coaches that reminded me that I was the only one that was putting so much pressure on myself. They told me to enjoy it and do my best, that was all I could do.”

“I was the last person to complete my second routine and when they had announced that I had held onto my first place position, I felt a mixture of relief and happiness. I can’t thank my friends and coaches enough for keeping my nerves under control!”

Next up for Lianne is Varsity, where the trampolining club expect to have around 40 competitors. The medic cannot wait for April:

“Varsity is without a doubt my favourite competition of the year! For many, this will be their first competition and the atmosphere leaves many hooked and they continue to compete for the rest of their time at university.”

Despite being in her final year, Lianne hopes to stay involved in the trampolining club as she continues her training as a junior doctor, aiming to travel with the team to competitions and compete as a guest – as long as time permits.

Lianne encourages anyone to join the trampolining society club. After all, without it she may have never got back in to the sport.

“I have to admit that throughout my years of competing I had become tired of trampolining, I actually quit for almost four years. It was only when an old trampolining friend persuaded me to do Varsity that I joined the club, and for the first time in a long time I enjoyed training and competing again. Everyone was so welcoming and suddenly trampolining was fun again.”

Training four hours a week, Lianne got back to competing and is now the club’s golden girl, proof that university sport can reignite passion and lead to a national vicory.