There is no doubt that The Amazons have great potential. I look forward to  watching them grow and grow.
">

The Amazons took to the stage following impressive support from The Pale White, who managed to grab the sold-out crowd’s attention in Leadmill.

The Reading-based band kicked things off with one of their bigger hits ‘Ultraviolet’, taken from the self-titled debut album which was released on 2 June. The song had a strong response as the packed-out audience screamed every word back to the band. Typical of a Tuesday night gig it took a few songs for the crowd to properly warm to the band, but by third song ‘Stay With Me’ the mosh pits had opened and the crowd were bouncing front to back.

Midway through the set, frontman Matt Thomson lamented that many of his musical inspirations are passing away. This brought him onto an emotional tribute to the late Tom Petty with an acoustic cover of ‘Free Fallin’’, a very special moment of the set.

Going from strength to strength with tunes such as ‘Black Magic’, the crowd were loving every minute and surfing over the top of each other, much to the security’s displeasure. The ever-present roars of ‘YORKSHIRE, YORKSHIRE” between songs are a positive sign of any good gig in the area.

The encore commenced with emotional hit ‘Palace’ dropping the tone of the otherwise raucous gig, only for the mood to be ramped straight back up again as the first note of their hit single ‘Junk Food Forever’ dropped. Madness descended back onto the Leadmill dancefloor with limbs flying all over the place – a fitting end to a wonderful set.