Trampolining and Climbing club maintained their reputation as one of the best in the country...
">

Trampolining and Climbing club maintained their reputation as one of the best in the country after an impressive performance at BUCS Nationals in Sheffield.

The trampolining team won one gold and one silver in the individual events, with a gold for Lianne Sellors in BUCS female category one event with a score of 87.1.

Fred Mears won silver in the BUCS male category four event with a score of 48.4.

The two medals were a vast improvement on last years competition where the team managed to only claim one silver medal.

The gold for Sellors was even sweeter after finishing sixth in the same competition last year and her performance in her final national championships saw her claim victory.

Unlike Sellors, Mears was appearing in his first BUCS Championship. The first year medical student has a great platform to build on in future events after finishing just three points behind the winning competitor.

The trampolining club also had five male athletes finish in the top 25, with Alex Patterson finishing 15th in BUCS 1, Ed Whatley-Smith finishing 22nd in BUCS 2s, Alex Fairman 21st in BUCS 3s, Alex Larsen 22nd in BUCS 5 whilst Jean Luz came ninth in BUCS sixth.

In terms of the females, captain Megan Baker was 46th in BUCS 2s, Caroline Thornhill 36th in BUCS 4s whilst Florence Maskell and Ruth Tough finished 93rd and 77th in BUCS four and five respectively.

After the two day event, captain Baker told Forge Sport:

“We had a brilliant weekend at BUCS, I could not be prouder of the team who had a massive improvement on last year.”

The club now turn their attention to Varsity against rivals Sheffield Hallam. Baker said:

“We are working very hard to retain our title”.

The climbing club had one of the most dominant all round performances in recent BUCS history by winning a total of four medals and having numerous climbers position well outside the medal places.

In the female comeptition, Jennifer Wood was second after scoring 191 points, finishing an agonising two points behind Tara Hayes of Sheffield Hallam. Lisa Alhadeff was sixth with 173 points whilst Katie Maxwell-Willcocks was 81st with 80 points. Although Wood was disappointed with missing out on gold, the combined efforts of Alhadeff and Willcocks saw Sheffield claim the bronze medal in the team championships with a combined score of 444 points.

The men’s climbing team produced a tremendous display of climbing with all six climbers finishing in the top 31 places.

Joe Swales secured the silver medal in the men’s competition whilst Jez Etherton and Connor Bryne found themselves in the top 10 after placing seventh and ninth. Adam Fidler, Luke Dawson and James McIlveen rounded out the rest of the group with respectable 14th, 21st and 31st places, which saw Sheffield claim the overall gold medal in the men’s team competition with 663 points.