The University of Sheffield Women’s cricket team defeated the University of Leeds and Keele University...
">

The University of Sheffield Women’s cricket team defeated the University of Leeds and Keele University to advance to nationals for the second year in a row.

After defeating Sheffield Hallam University and Manchester in the previous round, the women faced Leeds in the first game.

Sheffield lost the toss and were put into bat first. The game got off to an excellent start with a flurry of wides and some excellent shot placement by the opening pair. Captain Millie Boddington and Hannah Lautch taking the total up to 28-0 off just two overs.

However, Boddington was caught behind in the third over. Zara Aslam was the next batter up and continued to tick up the score until the seventh over when Lautch suffered a run out.
Megan Lee joined Aslam at the crease and together they guided Sheffield to 118-3 as Aslam was run out on the last ball of the innings.

Boddington started the bowling for Sheffield and kept things tight early on but the Leeds pair managed to reach 29-0 after four overs.

After a run out, Lizzie Dillam claimed her first wicket of the day in the sixth over. Soon after, Saima Ahmed claimed another wicket before Leeds suffered a second run out.

In the end the total proved too much for the remaining batters, with them requiring 38 from 7 balls. Leeds finished the day on 94, 25 short of Sheffield’s total.

In the second game of the day, Boddingon won the toss against Keele and put them into bat. Dillam struck in the third over to leave Keele struggling at 16-1 after three overs.

The excellent fielding from the first game was carried through to the second, with Megan Lee scampering about behind the wickets to execute some great takes. Keele managed to only score a paltry 63-1 at the end of the innings.

Boddington and Lautch were successful in their run chase, reaching the total of 67 in seven overs.

The two wins at the weekend mean Sheffield are currently unbeaten in BUCS this season.