University of Sheffield 2 Northumbria University 0 The University of Sheffield Women’s Hockey 1s advanced...
">

University of Sheffield 2 Northumbria University 0

The University of Sheffield Women’s Hockey 1s advanced into the semi finals of the BUCS Trophy Cup after a tense 2-0 victory over Northumbria University 1s.

Having beaten Dundee in the last 16, the Sheffield squad entered the game filled with confidence having not lost a competitive fixture since November 4.

On a freezing evening, Northumbria began the game well with quick and short passing.

Sheffield kept a strong defensive shape with Ruth Thomas, Sarah Harrison and Sophie Akhtar continually breaking up attacks.

Sheffield were sloppy in possession and neither side were able to offer much going forward with both keepers not having a shot to save in the opening 15 minutes.

Five minutes later, Sheffield took the lead. Good work on the right hand side saw the ball crossed into the centre of the penalty circle where Lucy Peel was able to flick the ball past the flailing Northumbria keeper.

Home keeper Cat Powell was rarely tested in the first half but did come to the rescue with two fine saves in a goalmouth scramble as Northumbria upped the ante before halftime.
Sheffield could have gone into the break with a two goal advantage but Annie Radcliffe was unable to get her stick on another cross.

In the second half, Alice Williams almost scored after a fine run in which she skipped past two away defenders but her shot was parried by the keeper.

Sheffield continued to make mistakes whilst in possession but Northumbria were unable to capitalise. The away side had four penalty corners in the second half that all went wide of Powell’s goal.

Sheffield secured the victory with five minutes to go. Good hold up play on the edge of the penalty circle by Penny Ellis allowed Amelia Milton to run onto the ball and score.

Sheffield will face the University of Cambridge away in the semi finals on March 3.

After the game, Peel told Forge Sport:

“It was scrappy but we are absolutely delighted to get the win.”