Women’s Super League returns to Forge Sport

Sheffield FC Ladies’ home games in the 2017 FA Women’s Super League Spring Series will be broadcast live on Forge Radio, it has been confirmed.

The Spring Series is a temporary competition designed to bridge the gap between the 2016 season which ended in November, and the 2017-18 season when the WSL will move back to a winter schedule in line with the traditional football season.

Sheffield FC will play home matches against Doncaster, Everton, Oxford and Aston Villa, and will travel to the remaining five sides in the nine game competition. This includes a trip to Brighton and Hove Albion, who were promoted to the WSL after beating Sporting Club Albion in a playoff after finishing top of the Women’s Premier League South last season.

There will be no promotion or relegation from the Spring Series, so it is being seen by many clubs as an opportunity to experiment. This will be of use to Sheffield FC boss Zoe Johnson who faces her first full season in charge after taking over a short period into the 2016 season.

It will be important after a truncated pre-season that has seen Sheffield play just four friendlies – beating WPL sides Middlesbrough and Stoke 5-0; drawing 2-2 with fellow WSL2 side Aston Villa; and losing 3-0 to a full strength Manchester City side.

Sheffield FC start their competitive season with a trip to Charlton in the third round of the FA Women’s Cup on Sunday 5th February.

Sheffield FC’s first game of the Spring Series will be on Sunday 12th February at home to Doncaster Rovers Belles and will be live from 1.50pm on Forge Radio Extra and via the Forge Sport website.

Sheffield FC home fixtures:

– Sun 12/2/17 2pm Doncaster Rovers Belles
– Sun 12/3/17 2pm Everton
– Sat 15/4/17 4pm Oxford United
– Sun 30/4/17 2pm Aston Villa