News: Finding Nemo 2 Confirmed

Did you know that Finding Nemo is the best-selling DVD of all time?

Even if it wasn’t, the tale of a dad separated from his son is still one of Pixar’s finest movies. Which makes it all the more heartbreaking that director Andrew Stanton has announced he will direct the sequel.

On the one hand, this is a good piece of news. Despite his obvious competence as a filmmaker Stanton’s last film, John Carter, went down as the most expensive flop in cinema history. It was more expensive than Waterworld, and it sucked worse to boot. So it’s good to see Stanton back at Pixar, where (some would argue) he belongs.

The problem is that this is just a continuation of Pixar’s new policy of making unnecessary sequels rather than focusing on new ideas – first we had the abominable Cars 2, and now there are plans to see Mike and Sully in their early days at Monsters University. It seems doubly stupid when you consider that Finding Nemo had already reached a perfectly acceptable end-point: they found him. If that little bugger goes missing again, maybe he had it coming.

Maybe this is unfounded worrying. After all, with the Toy Story trilogy Pixar created two sequels that manages to surpass the original. But more and more Pixar seem to be at the whim of the House of Mouse controlling them, and you have to wonder what kind of effect that’ll have on the quality of their movies.