News: Joss Whedon To Direct Avengers 2

Marvel nerds rejoice: the company has officially announced that Firely creator and generally awesome bloke Joss Whedon, responsible for this summer’s Avengers Assemble, will both write and direct the upcoming sequel. 

Whedon, whose name has been linked to scripts ranging from Toy Story to Alien: Resurrection, is also reported to be making a live-action TV series for American channel ABC that “ties in” with the universe of the movies – think Firefly and Serenity, but in reverse.

Since Avengers Assemble is now the third-highest grossing movie of all time, the sequel was inevitable, but having Whedon at the helm gives it the best shot at being great. His script worked because he can make ensemble casts shine like no-one else (just look at his TV shows up until now), and his writing is top-notch.

It’ll also be interesting to see how this upcoming TV series turns out, especially considering the news that Guillermo Del Toro (the insane Mexican director behind Pan’s Labyrinth and the Hellboy movies) plans to make a new TV series of The Incredible Hulk, hopefully without Lou Ferrigno in green paint. All of the DVDs leading up to Avengers Assemble had interesting little short films attached, so hopefully it’ll be in that kind of vein.

Unfortunately, this hopeful high of superhero movies is a long way off. The release date for now is a tentative 2015, and between now and then we have to watch Iron Man 3, Thor: The Dark World, and Captain America: The Winter Soldier . Jesus, that’s a lot of subtitles.

Oh, and there’s also Guardians of the Galaxy, the movie tie-in based on a group of superheroes which includes in its ranks a talking raccoon. No, that wasn’t a joke.