News: Michael Fassbender Set to Produce Assassin’s Creed Movie

Movies based on video games are almost never good. Max Payne, Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Hitman… the evidence is pretty much conclusive (here’s  a hint: anything directed by Uwe Boll is a sure-fire flop).  

But now it looks like there might be one that bucks the trend: Michael Fassbender, star of Prometheus and Inglorious Basterds, is set to produce an upcoming movie of Assassin’s Creed … and possibly star in it, too.

For those of you who don’t know, Assassin’s Creed takes place mostly in the near future, in which Desmond Miles and a group of modern-day Assassins try to fight against the all-encompassing Abstergo Corporation, who are basically the decendants of the Knights Templar. The rest of your time is spent in a machine called The Animus, which allows you to see the memories of your ancestors which are hidden deep within your genetic code. As premises go, it’s a doozy.

Still, it’s the kind of premise that begs for a movie and frankly, it’s surprising that there hasn’t yet been an attempt to cash in on the popularity of the series – there are over half a dozen games in the series that have sold 30 million copies since the first was released in 2007. The final game in the franchise, confusingly called Assassin’s Creed III, is due out later this year and is already hotly anticipated to be one of the most successful releases of 2012.

Details, for now at least, remain relatively sketchy. There’s no talk of any of the other talent set to feature in the film, and no mention yet of how closely the plot is going to tie into the canon of the games. But Fassbender is an extremely talented actor, and anything with his name attached is surely worthy of a look-in.

As long as they find someone other than Uwe Boll to direct, that is.

One Response to “News: Michael Fassbender Set to Produce Assassin’s Creed Movie”

1. Movie Fan Zack

So excited for the Assassins Creed film. Fassbender will do a great job for sure. Yes, and Uwe Boll should just stop directing.

Reply