News: Warner Bros planning prequel to The Shining

“Heeeeeeere’s Johnny! Again…” If whisperings from the Internet are to be believed, then executives at Warner Bros Studios could be gearing up to make a prequel to Stanley Kubrick’s horror classic, The Shining. 

Early reports indicate that the movie will show the Overlook Hotel long before Jack Torrance and his creepy little psychic kid turned up, possibly answering the question of what it was that caused Jack to decide all the peepholes in the hotel should be widened with an axe.

Reaction from fans has, understandably, been mixed. Many have hailed the decision; after all, The Shining is de finitely one of King’s better novels, and the movie is one of the greatest examples of the genre ever made, so many have been wanting to return to the Overlook for decades now.

But there’s a problem. The reason that the film was so great is that Stanley Kubrick is an absolute genius, and he was working from the words of another genius. Kubrick is (unfortunately) no longer with us now, and any attempt to continue the story will most likely end up looking like (at best) an homage or (at worst) a parody of the original.

Of course, it could turn out alright. King is writing a sequel to The Shining as we speak, and the film could tie in with and adapt that very nicely. But for now, I remain as worried as Danny was when he came across those creepy-looking twins in the hallways of the hotel.

One Response to “News: Warner Bros planning prequel to The Shining”

1. News: 666 Park Avenue | ForgeToday.com

[...] The show’s creator, David Wilcox, has cited Stephen King as an influence on the show (which almost goes without saying, considering Stephen King’s influence on practically every modern horror story) and claims that the show’s highrise building “is like the Overlook Hotel from The Shining.” Such a comparison is risky, given the sheer genius of Stanley Kubrick’s adaptation, and anything that strives to resemble that classic will surely be found wanting. Hint hint, Warner Bros… [...]