Review: Avengers Assemble

After five films, a few post-credits sequences and a couple of short vignettes hidden in various DVDs, one of the most ambitious superhero movies to come out in recent years is here. Thanks to a stellar cast, and marvellous direction and writing from Joss Whedon, Avengers Assemble  more than lives up to expectations.

Make no mistake though: it’s a comic book movie through and through, and this is nowhere more apparent than in the story. After fiddling around with forces that they don’t understand in the form of a glowing blue cube called a “Tesseract”, the international security agency known as S.H.I.E.L.D, headed by Director Nick Fury (played ably by Samuel L. Jackson), open up a portal to release everybody’s favourite Norse God of mischief, Loki (TomHiddleston). If that’s not enough, the fiend is planning to summon an alien invasion from across space and time to subjugate the Earth.

It’s up to Director Fury to summon the world’s greatest heroes – Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.), Thor (Chris Hemsworth), a recently unfrozen Captain America (Chris Evans), Bruce Banner/the Hulk (Mark Ruffalo) as well as super spy Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson) and expert marksman Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner) – in order to save the day. Before that, though, they have to start getting along with each other; not an easy task as almost all of the characters shouldn’t even be left in the same room together, let alone battle on the same side.

This is where Joss Whedon’s gift for taking advantage of tried and tested genres really kicks in. Although the plot is generic, the dynamics that the script develops between the different characters make the overarching story almost irrelevant. Tony Stark and Bruce Banner’s budding bromance, long time S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent Phil Coulson’s (Clark Gregg) fanboy admiration of Captain America and the epic sibling rivalry between Thor and Loki (“He’s adopted” is the thunder god’s explanation for his brother’s villainous tendencies) are the reasons this film is so brilliant. Special mention should go to Mark Ruffalo, who’s the third actor to play the part of Banner/the Hulk and definitely the best so far. He brings an air of calm and earnest self-loathing to the role that makes you wish he had been cast for the previous Hulk films as well.

Even the lengthy action sequences (these are superheroes after all) barely ever stray from being heart-pounding to tedious. It would, in fact, be spoiling to give you specifics, but the battle royale in New York City gives the heroes moments to shine in a way that they never did before, even the ones who previously had their own films.

This summer is a relatively big one for comic book movies, with both The Amazing Spider-Man and The Dark Knight Rises close on the horizon. Avengers Assemble, however, has set the bar high,  and it’s most definitely going to be a hard one for the competition to beat.

9/10

One Response to “Review: Avengers Assemble”

1. Jon

Just to note on the issue of Hulk, Ruffalo is the 4th to play Hulk with the other being Lou Ferrigno. What makes Ruffalo’s Hulk so brilliant in Avengers is the fact that it is the first film version where they use the actors likeness and therefore his transformation is a smooth transition, whereas in 2008’s The Incredible Hulk, there was absolutely no likeness between the Hulk and Ed Norton.
    Marvel have succeeded by making the films for the diehard fans, adding in jokes, references and visual illusions that only fans will recognise. Many fans are disillusioned with Fox’s X-Men series due to their inconsistencies in plot and deviation from anything resembling the comics, most notably in X-Men Origins: Wolverine and the character Deadpool (thank the heavens that they’re rebooting his character in his own film). By using combining actual comic storylines (with the Skrull’s ‘Secret Invasion’ and Loki’s obsession with the Tesseract) Marvel have allowed themselves to create a franchise that can comfortably spurn out several more films, without anyone getting tired or frustrated (unlike Sam Raimi’s Spiderman trilogy). Joss Whedon, as a excellent comic book writer for Marvel and all round genius (not to mention he created Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Firefly) must be retained for this success to continue. Should be interesting how he tackles both the Infinity Gauntlet Saga and Civil War storylines in Avengers 2 & 3.

Reply