Review: Snow White and the Huntsman

Snow White and the Huntsman is a 2012 adaptation of the  Brothers Grimm’s fairytale Snow White. This British/American movie is an epic, action-packed fantasy adventure, directed by Rupert Sanders and written by Evan Daugherty and Martin Solibakke.

Snow White and the Huntsman is not your everyday, average fairytale, as the movie takes us through an imaginary, dark world ruled by the ruthless Queen Ravenna, played by Charlize Theron. Kristen Stewart plays Snow White, the only female fairer than the evil queen.

After conquering many kingdoms, the ruthless queen soon learns from her Magic Mirror that she will be overthrown and destroyed by her step-daughter Snow White. Therefore, the only way for Queen Ravenna to remain in power is to consume the heart of Snow White and achieve immortality. However, when Snow White manages to escape to a dark forest, the queen summons the help of a huntsman (Chris Hemsworth). Sam Claflin also joins the cast as Prince William, Snow White’s childhood love.

Snow White and the Huntsman is a combination of action, adventure and imagination, with a dark side. The adapted storyline is beautifully written and the action scenes are rich in quality, while its fantasy nature is truly enchanting. However, the fighting and blood make it unsuitable for children under 12.

Theron’s portrayal of the evil queen is well done, and though it’s a little difficult to see Stewart in a movie other than Twilight, her performance is solid; she’s not just a distressed princess with a British accent, but also someone who fights for what they believe in. The movie is captivating and intriguing, despite the fairly bland voice-over narration. The visual and sound effects work well, and the costumes, especially that of the evil queen, are pretty cool.

Snow White and the Huntsman definitely breathes a new life into the fairytale genre, focusing on the themes of power, greed, immortality, endurance and above all, love. Snow White and the Huntsman is a good film, but one which wont be winning any awards.

7/10

7 Responses to “Review: Snow White and the Huntsman”

1. Emeka

Snow white is probably a good movie to look forward to, going by this well-written review. Well done! Its a little sad that it isn’t expected to win any awards, despite the hype that lead up to its release.

Reply
  2. Tobi

Seen the trailer a good number of times. Cant really see snow white in a dark light, but the review is good so hope it lives up to it

Reply
  3. jayne

Now,your review has motivated me to go see this movie asap..so dat I know if it really aint gonna be winning any award..

Reply
  4. obehi

Haven’t seen the movie tho but me likey the review..I guess its a must-see

Reply
  5. Yewi Papa

I love this. Very brief but on point. I haven’t seen this movie yet, but I’d definitely love to watch it sometime soon. Thumbs up Yetunde!

Reply