Review: The Inbetweeners Movie

Everyone’s favourite lads from E4 are back and they’re off to the Greek island of Crete for an adventure that promises to be nothing but “sex, fanny and booze.”

This is the hilarious postscript to the runaway comedy series The Inbetweeners which followed a group of teenagers through their time at Rudge Park Comprehensive School. The time has finally come for them to graduate and grow up. But we know them better than that.

Making the huge jump from television to the big screen is a feat that the boys just about manage in what is ultimately a ninety minute episode of the sitcom. Celebrating their freedom from sixth form, the guys leave the classroom behind to book themselves into the nastiest hotel in Crete with only the creepy locals as company.

Despite their vile accommodation, sleazy Jay (James Buckley) is determined to help the gang get drunk and pull loads of women. Out on the main strip, reality sets in that it is mainly dopey Neil (Blake Harrison) that is the real hit with the ladies as he motorboats the grannies on the dance floor.

In a lifeless bar, geeky Will (Simon Bird) and soppy Simon (Joe Thomas) try their luck with a group of girls from their own generation but soon discover that they are no better at chatting up the opposite sex than they are at looking desirable by the pool. Super-sensitive Simon is still hung up over his ex-girlfriend and will go to any lengths to get his hands on a coveted ticket to the island’s infamous boat party which she is attending. As the weather hots up, so does tension between the group who are soon at each other’s throats.

Hidden amongst Malia’s scantily clad female eye candy are the refreshingly well rounded ladies the lads set their sights on. Particularly well rounded is Jane, (Lydia Rose Bewley) whose curvy body is a laughing stock when she strips to her undies for a late night skinny dipping session. Jay’s aversion to her womanly figure must worry the nation’s females of a similar seductive stature.

The storyline of the film is often lost amidst the crude gags but this laugh out loud comedy is not apologetic. Some quality acting from pretty Laura Haddock, playing Will’s love conquest Alison, compensates for the bland efforts of some supporting characters but it is the lads we all love that take centre stage.

From poo to penises, there is no shortage of the same crudity that many students may recall from their own booze-drenched holidays. Examples include full frontal male nudity from a club dancer who also happens to be the master of self-fellatio. The 15 rating is debatable.

But writers Iain Morris and Damon Beesley have succeeded in creating a film our generation can relate to. It is not ground breaking or life changing but it does remind us why we love cheap package holidays and why what happens on tour, stays on tour.

7/10