Review: Titanic 3D

Prepare to have your heart-strings pulled and fall in love with Titanic all over again, as the iconic film hits screens once more.

Now, 100 years after the ‘unsinkable ship’ sank in the North Atlantic, James Cameron has re-released his blockbuster hit in 3D.

Titanic is a tale of two star-crossed lovers separated by the fatal tragedy onboard the eponymous ship. Jack Dawson (Leonard DiCaprio) wins a third-class ticket through a lucky hand at poker, before saving the young debutant Rose Dawson Calvert (Kate Winslet) from jumping overboard. While maintaining a secret love affair the pair – along with everyone else on the ship – are ignorant of their impending fate, as the ‘ship of dreams’ strikes an iceberg.

Instantly, the 3D technology can be marvelled at, particularly in the attention to detail given to the wreckage of the Titanic. The ship was constructed as a symbol of luxury and wealth, and this is well-demonstrated in the 25 minute prologue; the exquisite possessions which are unearthed are made to seem all the more so through 3D glasses.

The use of 3D technology also enhances the casts’ performances; the two protagonists become more endearing while the vulgarity of those in first class and in control of the ship becomes more exposed. You are sure to loathe Bruce Ismay (Jonathan Hyde), and find yourself praying that the inevitable fails to happen as he orders for the ship to be sped up.

With the prominent idea that a true story is unfolding before your eyes at the forefront of your mind, you can’t help but see the sheer horror of the tragedy, which the use of 3D only exacerbates further.

Naturally, the fact that this is a rerelease renders the ultimate impact which Titanic has upon the viewer, as they know what is expected of the motion picture. However, this can’t be held against the timeless classic; the magic behind James’ film is the fact that the characters and the colossal tragedy can be related to universally and always will be.

The award winning and highly anticipated re-release of one of the world’s most iconic films does not disappoint. Once again the enchanting soundtrack compliments the film, engrossing the audience in a timeless representation of Edwardian class and the downfalls within its society; problems which ultimately lead to Titanic’s dismal fate.

The use of 3D technology only amplifies James Cameron’s encapsulation of love, jealousy, greed and arrogance conveyed through the tragedy of the Titanic.

9/10

One Response to “Review: Titanic 3D”