The X-Factor: Week 6 – Lady Gaga/Queen

After the most pain-stakingly dramatic week that the X-Factor has seen, we saw the exit of rock-star wannabe Frankie ‘Cokeupthenozza’ after breaking a ‘golden rule’ (maybe his inability to sing?). He was replaced by the much more worthy and talented Amelia-Lily, who was wrongly voted out in the first week by judge Kelly Rowland.

Following ‘technical hitches’, the X Factor was fifteen minutes late to start – while Dermot had to reassure the public that this was not due to any drama backstage, people were more interested in trending; ‘X Factor. They can fix a whole series but not a technical fault.’ Ouch.

The terribly chosen theme of Lady Gaga vs. Queen ensured a night full of attempting powerful vocals from the not so powerful vocalists.

Kitty’s VT clip showed ‘Operation Kitty’ – her Dad travelling around her home town wearing a sandwich board in an attempt to get people to vote for her. I am genuinely undecided whether this is embarrassingly desperate, or if this deserves the Dad of the Year Award. Her performance of Queen’s ‘Don’t Stop Me Now’ wasn’t as good as usual, but still received decent comments from judges – alongside Gary’s urge for her to strip off the make-up and purely sing in order ‘to connect’ with the audience. Perhaps also leave out the dancers prancing around as horses in performances too…

Craig Colton stole the show with his performance of ‘Paparazzi’ by Lady Gaga. Little Mix were also good – initially singing Queen’s ‘Radio Gaga’, leading into ‘Telephone’ by Lady Gaga.

After these two good performances, the audience was geared up for another entertaining song. This was certainly not provided by ‘Irish sweetheart’ Janet Devlin, whose slow version of Queen’s ‘Somebody to Love’ must have made thousands of viewers automatically reach for their remotes. Jimmy Carr’s tweet this week could not be more fitting; ‘Janet Devlin’s got a lovely voice hasn’t she? It’ll be even better when her hiccups have gone.’ The cute Irish girl image is getting old now, and those ‘hiccup’ sounds simply sound like an irritating scratched CD.

Marcus Collins performed Queen’s ‘Another One Bites the Dust’, and once again provided a standard good performance, despite criticisms of being too predictable. Misha B followed singing Lady Gaga’s ‘Born This Way’. Although she’s loved by the judges, to me her voice is starting to get extremely irritating.

The results for the return of Amelia Lily were announced at the end of the show – with an overwhelming 48% of the vote out of the four contestants competing – the epic choice of the Queen song ‘The Show Must Go On’ showed Kelly just how wrong she was to get rid of this candy-floss haired girl, as she blew the judges away with a performance ‘of the same level as the other contestants who have had weeks to progress.’ Hmm. Doesn’t this tell you something, judges?

The Results

After the third time of being in the bottom two, it was finally time for Kitty to leave The X-Factor, and she didn’t leave without a good old bit of drama when she randomly grabbed the microphone off Dermot to serenade us with the chorus of Gaga’s ‘Born This Way’ as a parting gift. How nice. I didn’t know whether to cringe or to applaud her, however with her idol Lady Gaga back stage, no doubt she felt it was the most appropriate time to show off her eccentric side.

Opening the show was another mimed performance from the remaining seven contestants, this time to ‘Walking on Sunshine’.

One Direction performed their new single ‘Gotta Be You’. You’ve got to hand it to them – they did give a good performance. The masses of screaming girls in the audience no doubt gave them a bit of confidence though.

Lady Gaga featured on the programme, performing her new single wearing nothing less than a decapitated corpse outfit. However, this attempt to shock didn’t really succeed that much, as it’s just to be expected now. Her performance was good, despite the costume resulting in her inability to move in the first half, leaving a worried looking Dermot stepping nervously towards her after the performance.

Louis’ final contestant Kitty Brucknell and Kelly’s contestant Misha B were left in the bottom two after the announcement of the public vote.

Kitty’s performance of ‘Over the Rainbow’ was probably the best she’s performed yet, however obviously didn’t impress judges as much as Misha’s performance of ‘Who You Are’ by Jessie J. With all the judges except her mentor Louis voting against her, Kitty was eliminated from the competition.

Now with the final six to perform next week, Louis is left with no more mentees; while Kelly still has three. Hopefully that number will be reduced to two next week though, as Janet surely must go.