Review: Wrath of the Titans

Wrath of the Titans is the sequel to the 2010 blockbuster Clash of the Titans. The story is based loosely on ancient Greek legends; humanity is losing faith in the Gods, who as a result are losing their power. The temples are empty, so the Gods’ immortality is at stake. Hades (Ralph Fiennes) hatches a plan to release Cronus, an ancient God, by sacrificing Zeus (Liam Neeson). Perseus (Sam Worthington) is sent to collect three pieces of a magical weapon to stop Hades.

The story is roughly the same as the 2011 release Immortals, which was at least more interesting, if lower budget. However, the plot of Wrath of the Titans is… functional. All it really does is join together the various action scenes. Great action scenes mind you, but the point is: Wrath of the Titans is a game disguised as a movie. Each scene just seems to take the characters to the next boss-style fight. What little story there is even sounds like something from a fantasy game. Having to collect X number of magical items from the corners of the realm is what Zelda has been doing since the N64. This isn’t helped at all by the dumbing down of the characters. This poor attempt at a story is such a waste of money and talent.

Many, if not all, of the characters from Clash of the Titans seem to have been completely reset. Anything that happened between them has been forgotten.  As a result, the characters are totally inconsistent, in their behaviour and motivation.

For example, the Greek Gods in Clash of the Titans slightly resembled the gods of legend; they were scheming, manipulative and immoral. In Wrath of the Titans they have completely lost this complexity. Instead, they fill the generic good and evil roles of any fantasy-action film or game.

In terms of cinematography, Jonathan Liebesman likes hand held cameras, which is annoying in a film like Wrath of the Titans. In Battle Los Angeles, even though it was a terrible film, the hand held camera sort of worked because it was set on a modern battlefield and added to the chaos. In Wrath of the Titans it tends to look amateurish. That said, there are some good shots in the action scenes when the really expensive toys come out, which look great.

Summing up, the story is non-existent, the characters are two-dimensional, the action is epic and the cinematography is average. The poor writing and boss-fight set-ups really do make this film feel more like a video game that you can’t play. If you’re interested in this sort of movie, watch Immortals instead.

5/10