3rd XI Pick Up First Win Of The Season At York St. John’s

It was a mixed day for the Men’s Cricket Club on Wednesday as the 3rd XI picked up an excellent win over York St. John’s 2nd team but the 1st XI lost at Durham and the 2nd XI game at Leeds was abandoned due to rain.

The 3rd XI registered their first win of the season as they chased down 115 for the loss of just four wickets.  Shaad Silby was the star as he took 6/46 with his left arm spin and Sanjay Patel scored 48 not out to take them home.

At the picturesque Racecourse Ground the 1st XI were well beaten by a superior Durham side.  Sheffield initially did well to contain Durham in the powerplay overs but on an excellent pitch, batting became much easier once the ball got older.

Chris Murrall digs one out against Durham.

Having been 45/2 Durham’s batsmen recovered well to add 171 for the third wicket as opener Hobsborn scored an excellent hundred.  Mark Williams, Chris Murrall and Jordan Calcutt bowled well at the death, however, and managed to restrict Durham to 260.  Williams finished with exceptional figures of 2/28 from his 10 overs.

In reply with the bat Sheffield got off to a decent start as Ali Haynes and Will Aitkenhead saw off the new ball relatively untested.  The score had reached 41 before Aitkenhead chipped tamely to square leg for 15 and that quickly became 47/3 as Haynes was caught in the gully for 20 and Williams fell in identical fashion the very next ball.

The batting never really recovered and Sheffield managed to scrape to 123 all out in a disappointing performance but they could have no complaints over who was the better side on the day.

The 2nd XI travelled to Weetwood to take on Leeds University 3rd XI and were asked to bat first.  Mike Goodfellow was the pick of the batsmen, looking in fine form as he made 62 in their total of 157/8 from a rain affected 35 overs.

In reply Leeds had reached 33/1, Stuart Rogers with the wicket, before the rain set in for good and dashed any hopes of a result.

The 3rd XI play their last fixture of the league season on Sunday against York 2nd XI whilst the 1st team play Liverpool at home on Wednesday and the 2nd XI are at Sunderland.