Record haul for Sheffield athletes at BUCS Nationals

The University of Sheffield secured their best finish at BUCS Nationals after winning 11 medals in six events over the course of the three day event.

In previous years, BUCS had been a poor event for the university, with sporadic medals in the big events, but this years performance obliterated the previous medal tally of four medals which was achieved last year.

In karate, the university won two bronze medals thanks to Lisa Brocklesby in the Women’s senior kumite 68kg weight class and Panayiotis Loizides in the Men’s kumite 75kg division.

Loizides also won the same medal at last year’s event and the Cypriot athlete, who competed for his country in the 2015 European Games, told Forge Sport:

“I was dissapointed with bronze due to my performance”.

However, Loizides is looking forward to next years competition. The athlete added:

“The result pushes me to work harder for next years competition which I really want to win”.

Another Sheffield athlete also won the same medal as they had in last year’s competition. Swimmer Luke Howdle came second in the mens 200m butterfly with a time of 2:01, a second slower than his silver winning performance from the year before.

Howdle told Forge Sport:

“Its a fantastic achievement, I am disappointed not to have won as I felt I could have”.

The swimming team put in a much better performance than last year with a number of medal near misses. Amber Keagan finished fourth in the women’s 800m freestyle and 400m individual medley, whilst Howdle was unable to medal in both butterfly events, narrowly missing out on a bronze after finishing fourth in the men’s 100m.

The fencing team were unable to win a medal after bronze for Sam Cooper in last year’s event.

In the men’s sabre, Sheffield had two top 25 finishes with Cooper taking 13th place Jonathan Glancy coming 21st.

The women’s foil team matched expectations with Carolina Kyllmann and Dillan Lee placing in the top 35, whilst Molly Elsegood was 16th in the women’s sabre.

Sheffield struggled in athletics but managed to win a gold in the 60m women’s ambulatory race, with Penny Andrews winning with a time of 10:54.

Other good finishes for Sheffield included a 10th place for Rebecca Cope in the women’s triple jump final with a best leap of 11.14 metres, whilst Ellen Downs finished in the same place in the women’s 3000m final.

After the three day multi event, Head of Sport Sheffield Greg Unwin told Forge Sport:
“To see Sheffield busy with students from all over the UK at the weekend was exciting and showcased what Sheffield achieves at some of its amazing sporting venues, our own athletes had an incredible event and everyone can be proud”.