Volleyball M1s sail past Edinburgh

Volleyball M1s sail past Edinburgh
Photo Credit To Hugh Dickinson

Men’s Volleyball
University of Sheffield 3-0 University of Edinburgh (25-13, 25-23, 25-16)

The Volleyball Men’s 1s wrapped up a successful season in style, as they recorded a routine 3-0 victory over bottom placed Edinburgh at Goodwin.

Neither side had anything to play for. Edinburgh have already been confirmed as finishing sixth out of six, and will face a playoff game to avoid relegation from the BUCS Premier division. Sheffield are sitting pretty in fifth, but could not achieve any higher with a win in their final game.

Sheffield captain Justas Vaitkevičius used the opportunity to put out an experimental side, and the incoming players did him proud as they overcame their opposition in straight sets.

Edinburgh’s play accurately reflected their league position. They looked bereft of confidence, winning just one point in nine in a first set run that saw Sheffield open up a 14-5 lead, the only point Sheffield conceded in this run coming from a failed George Frazer serve.

A lack of communication epitomised the visitors’ first set performance, as the entire team stood and watched the ball land in the middle of the court for Sheffield’s sixteenth point, and the home side strolled on to take it 25-13.

Edinburgh hadn’t won a set all season, but came as close as they could to breaking their duck in the second. They rode their luck on occasion, getting fortunate deflections from the net cord, to open up a 21-16 lead. But when you’re at the bottom confidence can swiftly vanish, and it duly did to see Sheffield win six consecutive points and steal the set 25-23.

The third and final set was much more by the form book. Sheffield ambled to a 25-16 win, with the only moment of note being when Laurence Russell powered a spike straight into a Edinburgh player.

Vaitkevičius told Forge Sport that “it was a great season, our goal was to stay in the league” and that he was proud that they only missed out on coming third “by an inch.”