Carter takes early lead over Maguire

Ali Carter got the better of Stephen Maguire in a scrappy opening to their semi-final at the Crucible.

Carter won the session 5-3, although both players know the session was not a fair reflection on the true quality of ever play.

Maguire started the better and took the first frame on the pink, following a prolonged safety battle.

Maguire seemed certain to take the second frame after compiling a large break, but he missed a pot with the rest and let Carter in.

The Essex man missed a pot into the middle and Maguire cleared up to take a 20 lead.

In frame three, breaks of 46 and 26 ensured that Carter pulled a frame back and he followed this form in frame four by compiling a break of 91 to tie the scores at the mid-session interval.

The poor play continued after the break, as both players failed to find a good rhythm. Maguire was yet to compile a break over 40 and this continued in frame five.

The frame went down to the final few colours and Maguire had a chance to take the black for the frame. He missed it and Carter sunk the black to lead for the first time in the match.

In frame six, Carter missed a simple black and this allowed Maguire to clear up with a break of 82 to level the scores at 3-3.

However, Carter fought back and won the final two frames of the session with breaks of 65 and 36.

The pair will resume at 10 am tomorrow morning with three sessions in the match remaining.