Day five: Hallam take two point lead after EIS dominance

Hallam lead Varsity for the first time this year after dominating Monday’s action at the English Institute of Sport.

Uni’s only full points came in the women’s volleyball and futsal, while the points wereshared in the athletics. However Hallam took points in the aikido, men’s volleyaball, netball and basketball matches to turn a 15-12 losing position into a 19.5-17.5 lead.

The athletics dominated the early part of the day. Hallam took the competition overall, but mid-meeting it was decided the men’s points and women’s points would be counted seperately, and half a point awarded for each. Uni’s men won 60-55, but the women’s team lost 64-51, which resulted in the point being halved.

Both volleyball matches were decided in straight sets. The University of Sheffield men lost, but the women made amends, and although Hallam made them work in the third set, Uni eventually got their match point to come out 25-20 winners in what was the decider.

Hallam took all three netball games: the thirds fell to a late 37-35 defeat, before the seconds suffered a heavier loss, going down 53-34. Hallam then took the firsts’ game as well. This was a close fought, thrilling affair, which ended 42-38 in favour of Hallam.

Hallam also swept the basketball. The women’s basketball was a dominant scoreline for Hallam, who reached triple figures in an astounding 112-45 victory. The men’s game was far closer, although Hallam still took the spoils in an 84-77 triumph.

The futsal team put in Uni’s best result of the day. On the back of their recent BUCS Championship title they thrashed Hallam 12-5 to bring Uni back within a point, however Hallam won the aikido event by a single point.

Hallam lead by two points, but with two days and 23 points to be still decided, it is still early days.