Dwain’s World in Sheffield

Disgraced sprinter Dwain Chambers produced a stunning run to win gold at the Aviva UK indoor championships in Sheffield, last weekend.

The former drug cheat ran a personal best of 6.53 seconds in his first round heat before smashing that with a time of 6.51 in the semi-final, equalling the fasted time in the world this year over 60 metres.

Chambers matched that time as he charged to victory in the final, after the fancied University of Bath athlete Craig Pickering was disqualified for a false start in his semi-final.

The Belgrave Harriers athlete, who served a two-year ban for using the anabolic steroid THG, will now represent Great Britain at next month’s European Indoor Championships in Turin and will be a hot favourite for gold.

Chambers said: “I am very pleased with this win. I still have a lot of gas in the tank and was running at about 70 per cent fitness. I just want to run whenever I get the chance and have been really enjoying my athletics.

“It’s great to be accepted and appreciated by the supporters who want to see me do well and win medals for my country. It has been all about hard work and the frustration of last year to motivate myself.”

There were encouraging displays from Great Britain’s Tyrone Edgar and Simeon Williamson who claimed silver and bronze medals, though both could miss out on the European Championships if selectors favour Pickering, who has run the third fasted 60 metre time in Europe this year.

Pickering was disappointed with his display at the English Institute of Sport. He said: “There was a lot of noise in the background and I could hear the starter breathing through the microphone which did not help either.

“If it was me picking the team I would not be in, but I am not a selector so I will have to wait and see.”

On the second day of the championships, former Olympic finalist Donna Fraser rolled back the years to win the women’s 200m and 400m titles in a lifetime best of 82.83 seconds, at the age of 36.
Fraser had pledged to retire after missing out on selection for Team GB’s Beijing Olympic relay team, but she was delighted to win double gold in Sheffield.

She said: “I must really love this sport. I don’t know what possessed me to take on both events this weekend, at my age. I’m just so pleased to get a personal best.”