Four-goal Rhodes denies Owls win

Sheffield Wednesday 4-4 Huddersfield Town

Jordan Rhodes scored four goals as Sheffield Wednesday and Huddersfield drew 4-4 in an amazing game at Hillsborough on Saturday.

Rhodes had put the visitors 2-0 up early on, but Wednesday fought back to lead 4-2 with 13 minutes left.

But despite Wednesday desperately defending in the closing stages Rhodes snatched his hat-trick and the equaliser, as 28,600 fans witnessed the best game at Hillsborough in recent seasons.

The Yorkshire derby lived up to its pre-match hype as the drama started after ten minutes.

Rhodes had already missed two opportunities as Huddersfield dominated the first minutes of the game.

But Rhodes opened the scoring on 13 minutes, heading home from winger Gary Roberts’ fine cross.

The two combined again just a few minutes later, as Roberts crossed expertly again for Rhodes to head in off the underside of the crossbar.

The Wednesday fans were stunned into silence, but were soon awakened when Rob Jones headed past goalie Ian Bennett from on-loan winger Ben Marshall’s cross.

Wednesday had the momentum and roared on by their fans, they pressed the Terriers who soon conceded again.

Chris O’Grady’s shot was deflected onto the crossbar, Bennett saved from Watt’s rebound, and finally the ball fell to Reda Johnson to smash home from close range to cap an action-packed first 30 minutes.

The game slowed down as the first half drew to a close with both sides scrapping in midfield until half time.

The start of the second half also started slowly, but Wednesday’s best player this season Ben Marshall put a stop to that midway through the half.

Marshall dispossessed Huddersfield’s right back and his surging run at the Huddersfield defence was finished with a low shot dispatched past Bennett to send the Kop into raptures.

The game seemed over when O’Grady’s looping header fooled Bennett and dropped into the net, but Roberts again set up Rhodes who blasted home from 12 yards to give Huddersfield hope in the last few minutes.

With Owls’ boss Gary Megson frantically gesturing to his players to keep their cool, the game entered its climax in the 95th minute.

Bennett’s low ball cut through Wednesday’s midfield and Peter Clarke played Rhodes through for the Scotland international to finish with the outside of his right foot past a despairing Stephen Bywater.

The scene was incredible as Rhodes’ goal sparked wild celebrations amongst the fans and players, with Ian Bennett racing from his own goal to the opposite end of the pitch to join in the celebrations.

Rhodes’ goal was the last kick of the game as referee Darren Deadman blew his whistle immediately after the game restarted which was greeted by a cascade of boos from the home fans.

Owls boss Gary Megson said afterwards: “We’ve seen everything in the 90 minutes, we lost it, won it, and drew it.

“Rhodes has taken his goals brilliantly. I dont mind about the added time, but I’m disappointed that we didnt handle the last minutes better.

“We became tally-ho, in a game we should have been solid.”

Lee Clark, manager of Huddersfield Town said: “We came to win the game, but when you’re in the position you’re in near end of game, you’ll take what you get. We deserved to take something back.

“I didn’t think it was our day when Novak missed that chance. It was the best start to the game of the season from us, we passed the ball well, didnt give Wednesday much of the ball.

“Momentum is huge in sport. I think everyone has seen that today’s game could have taken place in a higher level than League One. We come off the back off a mean crop of form, and its easy to hide and take the 4-2, but the players didn’t do that.”