Hockey Club raise £7000 after ‘incredible response’

The University of Sheffield Men’s Hockey Club have raised almost £7000 in since their kit was destroyed in a bus fire two weeks ago.

The club lost £40,000 of club and personal hockey equipment and £30,000 of personal belongings when their transport caught fire on the M62 on the way back from a pre-season game.

Despite most of this being covered in insurance, funds were still required to cover costs and excesses and resulted in a JustGiving page being set up.

The £7000 raised includes an anonymous single donation of £2000 and £500 donated by Robin Eyre Change Management.
The generosity has extended beyond straightforward donations, with equipment being leant by other University clubs and kit by affiliated Saturday side Sheffield University Bankers.

Barrington Sports have also offered their help by providing discounts for those looking to replace kit.

Club Sponsorship and Alumni Secretary Joel Gandhi wanted to “thank everyone for the incredible response” and said that the club had been “inundated with messages and offers of support.”

He added that the experience “hasn’t dampened spirits, the boys are really excited to start BUCS and represent the University.”

This seems to be holding true so far with the team recording a win, two draws and a loss including a last minute equaliser away at Hallam for the Men’s 3s.