Sport for all at the University of Sheffield

Photo Credit To Sport Sheffield

Inspired by the exploits of Jessica Ennis-Hill, Bryony Page, Hollie Webb and other Olympic heroes?

Whether trying a sport for the first time or striving to become the best, there is a myriad of opportunities available through Sport Sheffield.

The Intra Mural programme is a collection of leagues that are the regular friendly yet competitive fixtures played across a wide range of sports. Although there are no new sports this year, there are still a lot to choose from: Dodgeball, Squash, Small-sided Hockey, Touch Rugby, Netball and 6-a-side and 11-a-side football.

Almost all academic societies will take part in at least one sport, and a lot of other societies will too, along with the much feared “house teams.”

Intra Mural Sport Development Officer Greg Unwin is “really looking forward to” the new IM season, and believes that the programme this year is “something special.”

Prices are frozen for a third year in a row and you can find out more about IM by adding Intra Mural as a friend on Facebook or by emailing Greg at g.unwin@sheffield.ac.uk. Team registration forms are available from Goodwin Sports Centre reception.

If you’re less competitive or want to try something new, the Social Sport programme is once again expanding. This year Darts, Quidditch (of the muggle variety) and Women’s Self-Defence join the programme along side Bootcamp, an instructor-led execrise programme, and Sabre-Light Fencing, which involves plastic rather than metal swords.

Some of this overlaps with the Residence Life programme which provides some sessions free, and others exclusive for those that live in the Student Residences. Find out more by liking Sport Sheffield – Social Sport on Facebook or email James Blencowe, Social Sport Officer, on j.blencowe@sheffield.ac.uk.

Keep checking forgetoday.com/sport for our weekly Forge tries Social Sport feature.