Hallam comfortable winners in Futsal

University of Sheffield 3-9 Sheffield Hallam

Sheffield Hallam ran out resounding 9-3 winners in the men’s Futsal at the English Institute of Sport.

Joel Rocha and Vasilious Koutsilas both scored four apiece as Hallam ran riot in the second half. Will Kendall grabbed two goals for Uni with a Hallam own goal also making the score sheet.

Uni started the better side, but this good work was wiped out when Hallam took the lead on three minutes. Koutsilas sent the ball in from the left for Alex Bailey to easily sweep home.

A minute later Hallam doubled their lead, with Joel Rocha scoring the first of his four goals with a long range shot from the right hand side.

Thomas Msadala went close as Uni desperately tried to get back into the match, but it was Hallam who provided a foothold in the game for them.

Joel Young was unfortunate to head the ball into his own net following a long ball which caused a defensive mix up in the back line. This didn’t faze Hallam though and two minutes later they restored their two goal cushion.

Koutsilas made a surging run down the left hand side and slammed the ball into the top of the net from an acute angle. Koutsilas then proceeded to hit the post from the kick off, causing Uni to call a time out.

With four minutes remaining of the first half, young nearly made amends for his earlier own goal when his rasping drive hit the post. The Hallam pressure continued and they made it 4-1 on the stroke of half time.

Rocha swung in a free kick from the right and the ball found Jonny Steele at the back post. Steele cheekily flicked it into the net to put Hallam into a commanding lead at half time.

It was almost a nightmare start to the second half for Uni as Joluwa Sotonye had to dive to clear the ball off the line and stop Hallam scoring a fifth. This spurred Uni on and four minutes later they reduced their deficit with Will Kendall grabbing the first of his two goals, scoring on the rebound following a shot by Jake Stevens.

A minute later however, Uni made it 5-2 as Rocha made another great run down the right, powering home from a tight angle. Hallam were now dominating and tempers flared in the Uni team with two players being booked for arguing with the officials.

Uni did maintain enough composure to reduce their deficit as Will Kendall found himself unmarked at the back post to slam home for an easy goal. With the scores at 5-3 and eight minutes remaining Uni had a chance.

Hallam weren’t prepared to allow any hopes of a comeback to last long though, as they proceeded to thrash Uni in the last few minutes of the game. Koutsilas scored a hat-trick in the space of three minutes and Rocha grabbed his fourth of the game with an easy tap in to complete the rout.

Uni’s Dragos Vreche was shown a red card after the final whistle for arguing with the referee, symbolising a frustrating day for the Uni team.