Hallam’s men too good in Athletics

University of Sheffield 47-68 Sheffield Hallam

Sheffield Hallam won by over 20 points as they tasted success in the men’s athletics’ competition.

Hallam dominated the competition, reversing last year’s result when Uni came out on top.

The day began with success for Uni, as they won in the 1500 metres. Rob Gardner ran a terrifically strong last 500 metres as he took top spot.

In the 60 metres, Hallam won both races as their sprinters proved tough competition for Uni. Ricky Reeves of Hallam won in the first race, ignoring a false start to remain composed and finish with a quick time.

The first male field event came with the Shot Put. Uni came out on top with the top three reading: Fehily, Sawyers and Drake.

Back on the track, and Hallam took the top two places in the 3000 metres following very strong runs from their athletes. This put Hallam into an overall lead and they never looked back.

In a controversial 400 metres race Hallam finished first and third following lots of pushing and shoving at the head of the field.

Success for Uni also couldn’t be found in the field with Ed Davies jumped 1.82 metres in the high jump. Pete Drake finished second for Uni in that competition.

Uni did manage a top two finish in the second 200 metres race, although Hallam did win the first to put them 11 points up overall.

Hallam also dominated the sprints with wins in all 200 metres races and the 60 metres hurdles.

However, an impressive performance by the Uni relay team ensured they finished first in the 4×200 metre relay. Uni could have also grabbed second, however the second handover saw the baton dropped and they never fully recovered.

In the final field event, Uni managed an excellent win with Joshua Bones coming out on top. It was, however, too little too late as Hallam comfortably won overall.