Men’s rugby union firsts make it two from two

University of Sheffield 17-10 Leeds Met seconds

After making a winning start to the season against Leeds with a 15-10 victory, the University of Sheffield first XV made it a Yorkshire double coupled with a huge improvement as they beat Leeds Met’s seconds 17-10.

Sheffield were dominant from the outset, with the tone being set right from the kick-off as the Leeds Met kicker failed to punt the ball 10 metres, giving an immediate scrum advantage to the home team.

In spite of a clear weight disadvantage in the scrum, the Sheffield forward line was dominant, and it was from a forward-led turnover that Sheffield launched the attack which gave them a deserved lead.

Barnaby Goodchild picked up a loose ball from a Leeds line-out, and charged over. Andy Magowan failed to convert, so the score remained 5-0.

This sparked the away side in to life, and they had a great opportunity to level within minutes – they got a man over the try-line, but a tremendous tackle by Joe Stevens saw him drop the ball, and Sheffield were off the hook.

Just before half-time, Sheffield deservedly stretched their lead. After they were given a scrum for Leeds failing to keep their line-out straight, the ball came all the way from hand to hand across the pitch to Keith Wardley. He weaved past two opponents and scored a magnificent try in the corner. It was equally well converted by Magowan, giving the home side a 12-0 lead at the break.

However, the home side started poorly after the interval and immediately saw their lead cut by five points; Leeds picked up the kick-off, ran straight into the Sheffield 22, and after a period of concerted pressure got on the score sheet.

The restart saw a case of déjà vu, with Leeds again taking it straight from the kick-off into the opposition half, winning a penalty in front of the posts – yet bizarrely, they kicked for touch.

Soon enough, Sheffield were showing their superiority again, and poor forward technique by Leeds saw Goodchild charge for the line again; the ball broke wide, and was collected by Ollie Taylor, who ran in his third try in two games from second row.

With Magowan’s kick falling just short, Sheffield held a 17-5 lead, though this was cut to 17-10 with five minutes remaining when Sheffield failed to clear their lines.

Sheffield shouldn’t have been hanging on at the end as much as they were, but with a 100 per cent record to start the season, there were smiles all round for the first XV.


Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment. is published by Sheffield Students’ Union. Views expressed are not necessarily those of the University, the Union or the editorial team. In the first instance all complaints should be addressed to the Managing Editor, although a formal procedure exists.

All comments on are moderated before publication (or rejection). When you post a comment, it is held in a queue until we approve or reject it.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but personal attacks and defamatory comments are not acceptable.

Any complaints should be directed to the Managing Editor. Upon recieving a complaint we will remove the comment in question from view as soon as possible, so the complaint can be investigated. If a basis for complaint can be established, the comment will be permanently removed.