Men’s water polo secure Uni Varsity point in thriller

MEN’S WATER POLO

University of Sheffield 8-6 Sheffield Hallam

By sheer coincidence, the men’s water polo score was identical to the result at last year’s Varsity match.

Hallam took an early lead with two goals, but after a quick break , the game became a much closer affair with a score of 3-2 to Uni.

Although it seemed as though Hallam were dominating to begin with, the ball remained close to their goal for a while, with frantic passing between Uni players to keep it close.

Uni pulled away to take the lead with a fantastic string of six goals in a row, with player Marios Zachariades impressively throwing the ball backwards to bring the score to 7-3.

In the third and fourth quarters the game got a little rougher, with much more pushing and shoving as the atmosphere got tense. Hallam scored a trio of goals, but failed to regain the lead despite an impressive goal that bounced off the side into the net. There was a near miss from Uni, but Hallam had a strong defence and pulled the score up to 7-6.

Uni scored the final goal of the game, and were clearly in high spirits as they swam back to the sides. After the match, team captain Conrad Rhodes said it was an “excellent performance” after losing to the Hallam team previously.

One Response to “Men’s water polo secure Uni Varsity point in thriller”

1. Water Management

Absolutely, that water polo was a big fun to watch. Though I was cheering for the Hallam’s, but still I enjoyed the excitement and nail biting tension during the match. Hope Hallam will soon take the revenge.

Reply