Mixed fortunes for Sheffield clubs on second weekend of League One season

Sheffield United continued their 100% start to life in League One with a 2-0 home win against Brentford

After a goalless first half in which the Blades tested Brentford goalkeeper Richard Lee several times, Jordan Slew broke the deadlock in the fourth minute after the interval, Richard Cresswell held the ball up with his back to goal in the penalty area and teed up Slew to strike home from close distance. A Matthew Lowton goal was ruled out for offside, before Richard Cresswell turned in a low cross from six yards to seal the points.

“Everybody in the country wants to win your first home game. It gives everybody a good feel factor and that’s important. Today was perfect really, clean sheet, two goals, and everybody has gone home happy. There’s still a lot more to come from us,” said United boss Danny Wilson after the match.

It wasn’t good news for Sheffield Wednesday though. After an opening day win over Rochdale, and then knocking Championship side Blackpool out of the Carling Cup on penalties in midweek, the Owls lost their first away match of the season 2-0 at Bournemouth.

Adam Barrett put the Cherries ahead just before half-time after popping up at the back post to head in Marc Pugh’s corner. Bournemouth doubled their lead when Harry Arter thumped in a second goal from the dge of the penalty area after some good work out wide by Lyle Taylor and Liam Feeney.

“The performance was okay without it being top draw, but the game itself showed the value of scoring the first goal. We had at least two good opportunities to do that and I think if we had then we would have won.” said Wednesday boss Gary Megson.