Netball retain League 2B status with another big victory

University of Sheffield 51-23 University of Durham seconds

The University of Sheffield’s netball firsts romped home to an important victory over Durham’s seconds. The result means Sheffield climb to third in the table and are safe from relegation.

Despite losing the toss, Sheffield started brightly and scored six times before Durham got going properly. Sheffield’s Goal Shooter Sally Evans posed problems for Durham early on as she continued her impressive form.

Buoyed by their great start Sheffield dominated the first quarter and went into the break 12-7 up on their Durham counterparts.

The second quarter started like the first, as Durham were no match for a hard-working Sheffield side.

With England korfball international Natasha Dawson winning ball after ball in the centre, Durham were left behind by Sheffield and only scored five times in the second quarter. The visitors were also guilty of missing a string of chances.

Sheffield again scored six without reply and when goal attacker Kaytee Beardsmore started scoring as well, there was simply no chance of a Durham comeback as the teams went into the break with the score at 23-11.

The next two quarters were dominated by Dawson’s strong running in the Centre while club Captain Jessica Bloom showed great vision and composure on the ball.

Durham were, by contrast, always chasing the ball and when they failed to convert a number of chances, Sheffield pulled further away from their visitors.

At the end of the third quarter Sheffield had a superb 40-18 lead and Durham looked ready to go back to the North East to lick their wounds.

Sheffield’s fitness levels were clearly better than Durham’s as the last quarter was one-way traffic towards the Durham goal circle, despite the visitors scoring three times early on.

Crisp finishing from Sheffield saw them score eight without reply and they finished impressively with a final score of 51-23.

Sheffield are now safe from relegation and can focus on the BUCS Northern Conference Cup final with opponents Chester standing between Sheffield and silverware.

The final will be held this Thursday at the BUCS Championships in Ponds Forge. The game gets under way at 7pm