Olympic gold medallist heads for Masters at University of Sheffield

Olympic Gold medallist Niccolo Campriani has chosen books over bullets and decided to hang up his air rifle as he starts at the Univerisity in September.  Campriani, who will study a Masters in Sports Engineering, won a gold medal at this summer’s games in the 50 metres three position rifle competition on Monday and a silver in the 10m air rifle earlier in the games.

Speaking after his triumph at the Royal Artillery Barracks he said, “I’m glad that shooting has ended in this way, the best way. I was good and lucky.”

He went on to explain the decision to head into education rather than continue his successful career, “I need a break from shooting, I will be back in 2013 but I really need a long break and I’m going to study. I already did my bachelors in United States and now a new adventure with new motivation.”

His competitors will certainly be glad of his move after he destroyed the field in the 50 metre competition, scoring 1278.5 and finishing well ahead of Kim Jong-hyun (1272.5 points) of South Korea in silver and American Matthew Emmons (1271.3) in the bronze medal position.