Roll on BUCS finals, says lacrosse captain

Men’s lacrosse firsts

Uni 16

Leeds Met 0

Sheffield enjoyed an afternoon of total domination over Leeds Met at a freezing Norton Playing Fields.

The victory, their sixth consecutive triumph in BUCS this season, has propelled the side to the top of their conference and the sights must now be firmly fixed on the BUCS finals day in March.

What made the manner and scale of the win so remarkable was Leeds’ league position; prior to Wednesday’s game they had sat level on points with Sheffield in the table.

Any notions of parity were dispelled in a matter of moments in the first quarter. It took less than a minute for the home side to take the lead, with Tom Marsh applying the finishing touches to an attacking move that saw the visitors’ defence cut open.

Nick Jackson was first to the loose ball after the restart and he was allowed by some sloppy defending to run the ball as far as he pleased before his shot made the score 2-0.

A third goal followed shortly, and before the away team had any time to reorganised the rampant Uni side had scored the fourth of the game, with co-captain Mike Armstrong the scorer.

Ben Lyon, who was magnificent all game, got the fifth while Tom Leahy got the first of his seven goals to make the score 6-0.

Two more Leahy goals and one from Nick Jackson ensured that the result was beyond doubt before end of the first period.

A Tom Marsh goal put the home side’s score into double figures five minutes into the second quarter. Shortly after, Leeds mustered their first shot on goal, some 25 minutes into the match, an effort which Uni goalkeeper Tom Little was not required to save.

The 11th goal was the most pleasing of the game. Uni’s patience in possession paid dividends when Leahy was presented with the chance to score following some sharp, accurate passing.

Armstrong scored his second of the game late on in the second period before yet another Leahy masterclass took the hosts to 13-0 just before half time.

The third quarter was quiet in comparison to the first two, with Sheffield only increasing their sizeable lead by one goal. Typically, it was the exceptional Leahy who scored it.

By the final quarter the game had turned into something of an exhibition, as the home side were content to keep possession and pressurise Leeds without taking too many risks.

The hosts’ dedicated support were rewarded for braving the cold with two more goals, Leahy adding his seventh before a fine piece of running by Jason Tunstall allowed him the space to score his first of the day.

Armstrong was understandably happy after the game.

He said: “We were expecting a tough game, obviously we knew that they are second in the league. But we killed them in the second quarter, and once we realised we had it in the bag we settled the play.”

“Roll on the BUCS finals.”