Derbies can sometimes lack that bit of quality, says Bruce

Steve Bruce says both sides gave it their all but lacked that bit of quality as the Sheffield derby finished goalless.

Neither side could be separated at Hillsborough as Wednesday continued their unbeaten run under their new boss.

In a game lacking clear-cut chances, Wednesday have still given themselves a shot at a late play-off surge while United missed out on returning to the automatic promotion places.

Sam Hutchinson had the best chance for the Owls but saw his effort from eight-yards stopped by Dean Henderson.

“We all enjoy the spectacle of what they are and we’ve witnessed them all over the weekend,” said Bruce as he took charge of his first derby in the city.

“How many was there [this weekend]? Six or seven?

“You could say, arguably, they’re not great games. They’re great to watch because of the intensity and the supporters want to see one thing: they want to see their side 100 per cent committed and this is why we enjoy them as a nation.

“Both teams went head to head with it, I have to say in terms of quality then there was a lot to be desired.

“The one bit that we showed, arguably the big chance in the match, Huch is disappointed that he hasn’t taken it, he didn’t expect it.”

Wednesday travel to Derby County on Saturday in hope of extending their unbeaten league run to eight matches.