Five in five for Sheffield sides

Five in five for Sheffield sides

Sheffield’s five biggest football clubs each claimed victories in a rare clean sweep at the weekend. Sheffield Wednesday, Sheffield United, Sheffield FC and Hallam FC were all victorious on Saturday, before Sheffield FC Ladies claimed the scalp of Aston Villa on Sunday.

While the Owls beat Wigan 2-1 (full report here), Sheffield United overcame AFC Wimbledon 3-2 at Kingsmeadow. Mark Duffy, Billy Sharp and Matt Done scored to make it two wins on the bounce for Chris Wilder’s side.

Sheffield FC won their first Evo-Stik League First Division South match of the season at the fifth time of asking, coming from 2-0 down to beat Rugby Town 4-2 and move off the foot of the table.

Hallam FC continued their fine early-season form in the NCEL Division One by edging out Nostell Miners’ Welfare. The 1-0 scoreline took league leaders Hallam to 16 points from their opening seven games.

Sheffield FC Ladies made it five out of five, claiming a historic 2-1 win away to Aston Villa Ladies in the Women’s Super League 2. Top scorer Jodie Michalska equalised after Chloe Jones’ opener at Sutton Coldfield before Sherry McCue grabbed the winner.

The three points accrued against Villa lifts Sheffield FC Ladies into the top half of WSL2, which they were promoted to this season, for the first time in their history.