Sheffield Off The Mark As Williams Teaches Manchester A Lesson

Sheffield University 1st XI – 288/5 (Williams 125*, Jones 51)

Manchester 3rd XI – 117 all out (Williams 5/22)

The Men’s 1st XI bounced back from the disappointment of defeat on Wednesday with a huge 171 run victory over Manchester 3rd XI.  Mark Williams was the star of the show as he scored 125* in Sheffield’s total of 288/5 and then took 5/22 to help dismiss Manchester for just 117.

Back at the same ground where they had lost the day before Sheffield were once again forced to bat first.  This time they got off to a flier, however, as Ali Haynes and Will Aitkenhead added 77 for the first wicket before Aitkenhead was leg before for 40.  Chris Murrall came an went before Haynes was dismissed thanks to a diving catch for 48 and when Orban Holdgate fell first ball suddenly Sheffield were in a bit of trouble at 118/4.

The experience of Williams combined with the youthful enthusiasm of Charl Jones proved to be a winning formula though, as they added 144 for the fifth wicket to take the game away from Manchester.

Jones recorded his maiden fifty before being run out and Williams went on to his second hundred for the University.  Williams’ knock was one of true class as he was cautious to began with on a tricky pitch before accelerating with perfection to finish with 125* and take Sheffield to 288.

The Williams show continued after the tea break as he proceeded to pick up the first five wickets in the Manchester innings with the new ball.  When Phil Singleton picked up two of his own the Manchester chase was in tatters with the score 65/7 at the drinks break.

Off spinner David Gibson completed the rout by taking the final three wickets to dismiss Manchester for just 117 and give the 1st XI their first BUCS victory of this season’s campaign in the Northern Division One.

Captain Murrall said after the game, “Will and Ali really set the tone for the day right from the start, we got into the driving seat early and kept on going.

“Mark was absolutely superb with bat and ball as we all know he can be. No hangover was shown from yesterday’s defeat and we showed great bouncebackability.”

The 1st XI travel to Durham on Wednesday whilst the 2nd XI face Leeds and the 3rd XI are at York.