Sheffield United appoint Wilson as new boss

Sheffield United have appointed Danny Wilson as their new manager. The former Northern Irish international, who has managed local rivals Sheffield Wednesday in the past, has signed a three-year contract.

Wilson will be the fourth permanent boss at Bramall Lane in the space of twelve months. Kevin Blackwell, Gary Speed, and Micky Adams have all been in the host seat in a turbulent season which saw the Blades relegated from the Championship for the first time in over 20 years.

The appointment has not proved popular with a section of the United faithful, with around 400 fans protesting against the appointment at Bramall Lane within an hour of the news being confirmed

The new boss told the club’s official website that he wanted to the best job for everyone involved with the club, and introduce a more attractive brand of football. “I want to realise their aspirations and bring success to the club as soon as possible. The style of play has been highlighted as an issue by people I have spoken with so far and I feel confident that we will be able to play in a way that supporters will enjoy watching,” Wilson said.

After a playing career of nearly 20 years which started at home town club Wigan Athletic, and led him to play international football for Northern Ireland, Wilson then made his managerial name in South Yorkshire. He took Barnsley up to the Premier League for the first and only time in their history in 1997, but couldn’t keep them in the top flight. He then moved to Sheffield Wednesday in the summer of 1998. A Premier Leaguemid-table finish in his first full season was followed by a shaky campaign the following season, and was sacked in March 2000 with the Owls staring relegation in the face.

He has since managed Bristol City, Milton Keynes Dons, Hartlepool and most recently Swindon Town, who he guided to the League One playoff final last year, only to lose to Millwall at Wembley. However, Swindon lost many of their key players to bigger clubs last summer and Wilson resigned in March 2011 after the team went on a poor run of form.