Wednesday and United Summer Update

Sheffield Wednesday have continued to strengthen their squad ahead of their return to the Championship this August, today confirming the signing of Diogo Amado, whilst Sheffield United are paying for their failure to join them, losing exciting youngster Matt Lowton to Aston Villa.

Amado comes to Hillsborough on a free transfer, with the 22-year-old having left Uniao Leiria of Portugal earlier this year. Amado said he was excited to be joining a “big, big club”.

Amado will certainly count Jermaine Johnson amongst his team-mates upon his arrival in Yorkshire, the 32-year-old also signing a one-year contract extension today. Jamaican international Johnson joins Mark Beevers amongst the Owls that have reaffirmed their commitment to the club, the defender agreeing a deal until 2014.

However, Jon Otsemobor will not be playing for Wednesday in the Championship this season, having agreed a one-year contract with MK Dons, following a badly injury-hit 2011/12 season.

Restructuring behind the scenes is still ongoing after Terry Burton departed for Arsenal. Burton steps into Pat Rice’s shoes as reserve team and development coach at the Emirates Stadium. Burton had been Assistant Manager at Hillsborough, helping Dave Jones guide Wednesday to their dramatic last day  promotion, but couldn’t resist the call of the club where he played as a youth.

Over at Bramall Lane, right-back Lowton leaves after 91 senior appearences since 2010, the last of which came in their play-off final defeat to Huddersfield Town last May.