Sheffield’s Marray Claims Wimbledon Doubles Title

Sheffield based Jonny Marray has become Britain’s first men’s Wimbledon doubles champion since 1936 as he claimed victory with his Danish parter Frederik Nielsen in a five set thriller on Saturday.

Jonny Marray became the first Briton to win the men’s doubles championship since 1936.

The pair were a wild card entry to the tournament and managed to beat Robert Lindstedt and Horia Tecau, the fifth seeds, 4-6 6-4 7-6 6-7 6-3 on Centre Court on Saturday.  They are the first pair to ever win the Wimbledon doubles event on a wildcard entry.

The last British winners of the crown were Patrick Hughes and Raymond Tuckey when they were triumphant 76 years ago.

It was the first time that Marray, who is ranked 74th in the world, had got passed the 3rd round of a Grand Slam and it is also his first ever senior title.  The 31 year old said after the match, ‘What a great honour. I just wanted to cherish every moment. Thanks to Freddie. It was meant to be.’

The last time a British pair made it to the men’s doubles final was when Bobby Wilson and Mike Davies were defeated in 1960.

Later today Andy Murray bids to be the first British male to win the Wimbledon singles championship since Fred Perry in 1936 when he takes on 16 time grand slam champion Roger Federer.