University women win Athletics competition

University of Sheffield 65-50 Sheffield Hallam

The University of Sheffield won the women’s athletics competition at the English Institute of Sport.

Uni ran out 65-50 winners over Hallam, following strong performances on both track and field.

Having lost the women’s competition last year, Uni were desperate for revenge and started well with Poppy Blake winning the women’s 1,500 metres.

After losing the first field event, the triple jump, Uni fought back to take all three podium positions in the 60 metres race. Suki Cirillo was in inspired form as she comfortably won the sprint.

Uni had a strong afternoon in the field events with Hannah Sargeant jumping 4.79 metres to win the long jump. Clarice Underwood came second, highlighting how Uni have improved since last year.

In the 3,000 metres, Hallam took the spoils, but Uni comfortably won the 400 metres to extend their points total by ten points and take command of the competition.

Hallam were expected to dominate the 800 metres event and they did, taking first and third. They were denied a top two finish however, following a storming final 200 metres by Rosie Keane.

Suki Cirillo was back on the podium as she won the first 200 metres race, despite heavy strapping on her leg. In the second 200 metre race, proceedings were much closer with a Hallam athlete taking top spot.

Success on the field continued as Rosie Marino won the shot put, throwing the shot a distance of 9.51 metres. This spurred on the athletes in the 60 metre hurdles, as Uni locked out the top two positions to almost secure overall victory.

In the final relay event, Uni came out winners, with all baton handovers smoothly negotiated. Hallam fought well to gain second place in the relay with Uni grabbing third.

This win rounded off a successful afternoon with track and field captain Michael Fraser saying:

“It’s unexpected as we came here not really thinking we could pick up a point, but the women excelled.”

“The real stars were those who today competed in multiple events. We now look forward to the national BUCS Finals.”