Valiant efforts but double defeat for Uni basketball

University of Sheffield 46-76 Sheffield Hallam University

A valiant effort from the University of Sheffield women’s basketball team was not enough to prevent defeat against a Hallam side two leagues above them.

The University side have been in great form this season, but were always underdogs going into a game which they lost by more than 50 points last year.

The first quarter was closely fought with University opening the scoring and both sides scoring points from free shots in a foul-heavy game.

University scored a great three-pointer and star player Ellyn Carnall made a skilful run to win another free shot.

Despite this Hallam took a one-point lead into the second quarter.

Carnall scored another two points for University and Hallam came close to replying instantly as the ball rebounded three times.

A Hallam steal from some sloppy University defending led to another two points but the black and golds replied again, keeping the game level.

Despite another two baskets from University and some more great play from Carnall, Hallam took advantage of some foul play by University and built a ten-point lead going into half time.

Hallam started to pull away in the second half as they intercepted to score another two-pointer early on.

Two more intercepts led to another two Hallam baskets, but Carnall replied with a great shot from distance to score three points and give University some hope of a comeback.

However the fouls continued to hold up the game and broke up any momentum that University could gather as Hallam went into the final quarter with a 24-point lead.

Carnall scored another great basket for University, but by this stage their hopes were fading, and two more baskets from Hallam sealed the win for the favourites.

University scored one last two-pointer before Hallam killed the game with a good counter attack as they beat their rivals by 30 points.

Captain Charlie Gill said: “That went really well, last year we lost by about 50. They are two leagues above us so we did well.

“We did win a lot of fouls. It was a foul-heavy game. We have got quite a few injured players, I have got a broken thumb and some of our players are ill.

“We were really proud of what we did today.”

University of Sheffield 51-73 Sheffield Hallam University

University of Sheffield men’s basketball lost out to Sheffield Hallam despite a battling effort against a side two leagues above them.

The black and golds, who are undefeated in the league this season, were always on the tails of their city rivals and just couldn’t make up the difference towards the end.

University opened the scoring with the first basket of the night, but Hallam showed a sign of things to come as they instantly replied, before tearing their opponents’ defence open with a court-length run to take a two-point lead.

Hallam began to put on the pressure, but University defended well and their efforts were rewarded with a great passing move for another two-pointer.

But Hallam intercepted twice and scored another three baskets as the University defence faltered again and the maroon and whites took a one-point lead going into the second quarter.

The black and golds had a great chance to score a three-pointer, which agonisingly rebounded, before Hallam intercepted two sloppy passes to score another two baskets.

Hallam then pulled away into a lead which they would keep for the rest of the game as they began to show their dominance.

And despite another good three-point effort from University, Hallam punished their rivals by scoring four baskets in quick succession, which helped them take a 21-point lead into the second half.

Hallam continued to build their lead with another two baskets, but University showed great defensive skills to sustain another period of Hallam pressure and notched up two points of their own to claw back the deficit.

University were rewarded for their efforts with another two baskets, including a great move by captain Dan Dawson, who had the freedom of the court to score a two-pointer.

And despite notching up four more points before the break, Hallam notched up another three-pointer to take an 18-point lead into the final quarter.

The game stayed tense as both teams scored baskets, but as play wore on it became clear who the victors were on the night.

The University coach shouted encouragement to his players in front of a lively black and gold crowd who were in great spirits throughout.

But some unlucky misses and some more sloppy passing from University were punished by Hallam as they maintained their lead, ultimately beating their rivals by 22 points.

Captain Dan Dawson said: “That was one of the best games we have played all season. They’re so much better than all the teams we have come up against.

“It’s always hard to lose, but they have got it all so we should be proud of what we did.”