Women’s Lacrosse made to work hard against underdogs Hallam

University of Sheffield 11-7 Sheffield Hallam University

Photos: Adam Harley

After already defeating Sheffield Hallam twice this season, the University of Sheffield women’s lacrosse team were clear favourites ahead of their Varsity clash.

Still, they had to be wary of a potential upset, but in bad weather on a pitch in poor condition they put in a professional performance to take a valuable Varsity point. Before the game started a minute’s applause was impeccably observed to commemorate Holly Willis, a University of Sheffield women’s lacrosse player, who recently passed away.

When the action began it took Sheffield less than a minute to go ahead. Lucy Bradbury scored following a strong run by Kim Meadowcroft.

Hallam equalised soon after but straight from the draw the ball was passed to a wide-open Imogen Lyons who duly put Sheffield back in front. However, ten minutes in it was Hallam who led 3-2 after scoring two goals from free positions in quick succession.

Sheffield were level soon after a time-out with Meadowcroft scoring and moments later it was 4-3 when Olivia Jenson scored following more strong running, this time from Georgie Matthews. It became 5-3 when Lyons stole the ball off the Hallam goalkeeper and scored into an empty net.

It was a frenetic, end to end first fifteen minutes and Hallam were giving Sheffield a tough game as they reduced the deficit to just one.

Sheffield widened the gap towards the end of the first half with Bradbury scoring twice and Matthews getting on the scoresheet to make it 8-4.

Hallam scored either side of a Meadowcroft goal with half-time approaching making it 9-6 at the break. Right on the whistle a Hallam player was sin-binned after striking Bradbury on the head with her stick.

The frenzied scoring calmed down after half-time as Sheffield defended well to keep Hallam at bay whilst the Hallam goalkeeper made numerous saves to stop the score line widening further. Still, Meadowcroft completed her hat-trick and Bradbury scored another making the score 11-6.

Even though Hallam grabbed a consolation, Sheffield were always in control and it was ultimately a deserved victory.

Early in the game Hallam gave Sheffield a couple of scares but once Sheffield went a couple of goals ahead they never looked in danger of losing.

Speaking after the game club captain Lucy Bradbury said: “To win feels amazing but even though we expected a difficult game it was a lot closer than we thought it would be. It was scrappy but we came through.”

Team captain Imogen Lyons added: “It’s been a difficult couple of weeks but we’ve pulled through as a team and we’re over the moon with our win.”

University of Sheffield Women’s Lacrosse squad: 1. Katie Shakeshaft, 5. Emily Brinnand, 7. Lucy Bradbury, 9. Imogen Lyons (c), 11. Camilla Chilvers, 13. Georgie Matthews, 17. Kim Meadowcroft, 19. Katie Allam, 21. Sophie Billingham, 23. Anna McGeorge, 25. Annabel Burton, 27. Olivia Jenson, 29. Jessica Twigg, 31. Sophie Frazier-Hafter, 33. Laura Grassick, 35. Lavinia Morris