Young Blades fall at final hurdle in FA Youth Cup run

Manchester United 4-1 Sheffield United (6-2 on aggregate)

Manchester United won the FA Youth Cup for the tenth time as they overcame a spirited Sheffield United team in the second leg of the final at Old Trafford last night. Inspired throughout by Paul Pogba and Ravel Morrison, the hosts completed a 6-2 aggregate victory against the hardworking Blades who struggled to contend with Manchester United’s pace and power up front.

The home side exerted most of the early pressure but it was Blades striker Jordan Slew who had the best chance of the opening quarter of an hour, shooting narrowly wide after showing strength to turn his marker. The miss proved costly with the hosts scoring twice before half time. Firstly Ravel Morrison slotted home after Will Keane had scuffed his shot, and then Keane himself scored a penalty after Terry Kennedy had handballed.

Manchester United raced out of the blocks in the second half as the Blades relied on last ditch defending to deny Morrison and goalkeeper George Long to save Pogba’s long range effort, but the goal eventually came after 70 minutes. Ravel Morrison beat two men and fired low into Long’s right hand corner from the edge of the area, leaving the away side with a mountain to climb. The Blades rallied and pulled one back after the impressive Slew set up Joe Ironside to scuff the ball past Manchester United ‘keeper Sam Johnstone, but Keane sealed the match shortly afterwards with his second goal.

It could have been worse for the visitors; both Keane and Morrison had chances to complete their hat-tricks during the seven minutes stoppage time that resulted from a serious looking injury to Blades’ Harry Maguire, but the scoreline remained respectable. It was a brave performance from Sheffield United, but in the end they were well beaten by a very promising looking collection of Manchester United youngsters