4) Tapas and Snooker

I realise I referred to free tapas in my last blog post, assuming that I would have surely acquainted you by now with the greatest thing about Granada. However, when looking back through my previous entries I realise this isn’t the case.

So, for every drink you buy at a bar (including soft drinks) you are given a free plate of freshly cooked tapas. The range of things you can get is pretty much anything.

Bars either have a tapas menu where you can choose anything you want, or more commonly create a new menu each day in which you are given the tapas in a particular order with a new dish for each round of drinks.

If you know where to go, it’s very easy to eat a decent sized meal at the cost of just one or two drinks. It makes me wonder if a bar that attempted this in England could be profitable due to sheer popularity. Always another career option I suppose.

At the end of my last entry we were still mid-volcano crisis, and although it sorted itself out within a day or two, my friend’s flight home and my parent’s flight here were cancelled. However, since then my friend made it home a few days later, and my parents have rebooked to come and visit in a couple of weeks time.

Having booked my plane tickets home for just a month’s time now, the deadline of my project is coming into focus. I hate to go on about work, but it’s dominated this last week when I’ve been trying to get on with it. It’s just a shame that now I’m actually attempting to concentrate, the Snooker World Championship is on at the Crucible – I lose that battle every time.

Every year I go and watch the snooker in Sheffield and quite pathetically, it’s one of the things I’m missing most! However, I do love the BBC for letting my stream every precious minute that I can’t be there.

One career path that interests me has become clearer over the past few weeks. I am, of course, interested in writing; both creatively and critically. I’ve also been doing a fair bit of editing work here for English-speaking Spaniards who need to write technical papers in English.

Apparently it’s well paid for and having done some research into this, it can be a good way to get a foothold into the world of editing, and in the long term allowing me to write my own work to be published.

In my office the guys are always permanently logged into Google mail, using it to chat, gossip and bitch, and so naturally I’ve joined in. It’s actually improved my Spanish reading and writing skills a lot in terms of being able to form sentences, and useful as I can just Google translate individual words that my vocabulary lacks and still be able to express myself.

However, it also means that my Spanish listening skills are nowhere near what they should be. One thing I’ve started doing to try and change this is having a Spanish radio station constantly streaming down my earphones. I’m not sure how much it’s helping but I’m going to keep at it.

New word of the day: Chicle = Chewing gum

Adam Saunders