45 35

Varsity 2016: Men’s Water Polo: Uni 3-9 Hallam

University of Sheffield men’s Water Polo were unable to overcome Sheffield Hallam despite some valiant defensive work, falling to a 3-9 defeat.

Sheffield started brightly but Hallam still managed to score first. Hallam scored a second and third in quick succession – a wonderful block from the Hallam defender to spark a counter-attack to make it 0-3.

The Hallam keeper was in to form from the start of this game, making an incredible save as the team in front of him looked calm and composed.

Sheffield started well again in the second quarter – with James Rafferty producing heroics in goal to deny Hallam and a long range shot from Michael Lewis whizzing just over the upright.

Their hard work managed to get one goal pack, showing good fight and forcing the Hallam keeper to produce some excellent saves.

Sheffield’s defence continued to stand strong and play hard but despite this Hallam broke away at speed and fired into the corner to make it 1-4.

In a largely uneventful third quarter, Sheffield saw the best of the action. Hallam scored the first goal but James Newsom replied shortly after for Sheffield, firing an accurate throw home.

Hallam restored their four point advantage but were again pulled back when Sheffield managed to find the net yet again – making it 3-6 at the end of the third quarter.

Sheffield lost some intensity in the final quarter, Hallam scoring again to make 3-7 and the Hallam keeper yet again diving all over the goal to stop Sheffield scoring.

A brilliant goal from Hallam followed. On the break Hallam played a disguised pass to the left before spinning and fire home on the turn to put Hallam five in front.

With 30 seconds to-go, Hallam closed out their victory with yet another goal – producing a score-line of 3-9 that did not reflect the performance of the University of Sheffield team.