45 35

Varsity 2016: Tennis Women’s 2s: Uni 4-2 Hallam

At the Hallamshire Tennis and Squash Club, the Women’s Tennis 1s extended the University of Sheffield’s lead over Sheffield Hallam University in the Varsity leaderboard with an impressive 4-2 victory.  Having not won the Women’s 1s Tennis Varsity event for two years running, the pressure was on Sheffield to end their losing streak.

The day started off with the two doubles matches. Lydia Huxtable and Danielle Smith won the first in straight sets, 7-5 6-3.  Huxtable and Smith were in great form and did not allow the Hallam players to settle and gain a foothold in the match.  On the other indoor court it was a completely different story. Hallam dominated the match and defeated Natalie Bacon and Sam Wileman, 6-2 6-4.

With the tie delicately poised at 1-1, Ashwini Foster put Sheffield in the lead in the first singles match by winning her match 7-5 5-7 6-2.  In the second singles match, Carla Baceanu had a chance to increase Sheffield’s lead to 3-1. Baceanu lost the first set but came back strongly to win the next two sets and the match, 4-6 6-2 6-3.

All Sheffield needed to win the varsity point was to win one out of the remaining two singles matches. The last two singles matches began and ended around at the same time. Natalie Bacon lost her singles match 6-3 2-6 6-1. However, Danielle Smith won her match moments after Bacon’s loss, 7-6 6-4, to win Sheffield Women’s Tennis 1s the Varsity point.  Smith carried on her good form from the BUCS season, where she was undefeated, to win the University of Sheffield the crucial point.