45 35

Varsity 2016: Women’s Water Polo: Uni 4-16 Hallam

An elite Sheffield Hallam women’s Water Polo team easily defeated the University of Sheffield 16-4 at Ponds Forge.

Hallam were evidently the strongest side from the opening stages. On their first attack they scored following a foul, scoring the first of their 16 goals.

Before long it was 0-5, despite the best efforts of Sheffield goalkeeper Jenny Hawken – Hallam constantly getting free in front of goal and showing their power from range to ramp up the score.

By the end of the second quarter, Hallam had a seven goal lead, which could have been eight if the goal hadn’t been disallowed.

Sheffield had a strong second quarter, with Lauren Hand swimming up the pool to galvanise the women in black and gold caps.

Despite two Sheffield chances, all it took was one long throw to catch Sheffield off guard and give Hallam their eighth goal.

Sheffield looked the stronger side in the quarter and got their reward when Taylor Roth, turned and threw the ball across the Hallam keeper into the top corner.

Soon after, Sheffield scored again from range but an immediate Hallam reply put the score at 2-9.

Hallam were back on top in the third quarter, opening it with the first goal and soon scoring yet again with a nicely lifted shot into the goal – contrasted with Sheffield’s Lauren Hand missing a penalty.

The fourth started with a penalty goal for Sheffield and Lauren Hand scored yet again, getting free and firing with power past the Hallam keeper.

From there Hallam showed their class, with a beautifully worked penalty with good patient passing and an over the shoulder trick shot contributing to the final 14 point Hallam winning margin.

The defeat does not come as a shock as Hallam have won BUCS three years in a row and went unbeaten this year in the Championship super 8s group B.