Hallam won the Men’s Football 2s match against the University of Sheffield 5-0 after drawing in 2017’s Varsity fixture.

A spectacular distance shot by Hallam’s Andre Williams and an own goal by Uni of’s Luke Davison helped seal the deal for the winners at Hallam Sports Park.

The match started off evenly with both teams pushing and trying to find an opening.

Midway through the first-half Hallam’s Aidan Doran outplayed the opposition’s defence with a through ball down the middle, sending Jack Ashton through to put the ball past keeper Sam Jackson.

In the following minutes Hallam had the chance to extend their lead with Williams appearing free in front of Jackson’s goal and Connor Novak missing a shot after cutting in from the right.

In the 32nd minute, Uni of almost got back in the game after striker Louis Butler flicked the ball over the last defender but his shot ballooned over.

Right after that Uni of gained momentum as a shot by Samuel Williams turned into a pass for Louis Butler who could not control the ball.

In a counter attack a minute later Uni of’s Jackson could not clear the ball well enough, giving Hallam’s Andre Williams a free shot that he failed to capitalise on.

Five minutes before half-time,  Hallam’s Williams accepted a second chance before firing home into the top right corner from a distance, leaving Uni of’s goalkeeper stranded.

Just after the whistle was blown to start the second half Hallam’s Aidan Doran passed the ball out to Williams who pulled it back inside for Doran to make the score 3-0.

Uni of didn’t let themselves down but suffered another hit when Hallam’s Daniel Philips lobbed the ball over their defence for Williams to head the ball over the on-rushing keeper three minutes shy of the hour.

Just two minutes later Uni of’s Luke Davison attempted a back pass to his keeper but the ball came too high for him to clear it, resulting in an unfortunate own goal.

Matt Cork had another important chance for Uni of in the 66th minute and Jackson proved his quality by saving a difficult shot from Hallam’s Joe Stephenson eight minutes from time.

Shaun Hird, Hallam’s manager, said: “I’m over the moon. After both winning and losing to Uni Of we knew it would be a tie game. At half time we had a 2-0 lead and knew they would come back at us but fortunately straight after half time we scored again.

“I told my team to keep a clean sheet today which they did so I am very pleased. I don’t want to name anyone individually but the whole team effort has been fantastic.“