The Varsity golf was played on a glorious day at Hillsborough golf club and, despite the sunshine, all of the players struggled with the moisture left from previous weeks resulting in slow greens and boggy fairways.

The day started with the foursomes and Hallam went off strongly. Despite back and forth play during the first 16 holes, Hallam captain Michael Hudson-Davies and Adam Pedlar birdied the final two holes to take the first point of the day; the Uni of Varsity rookies Nathan Hennessey and Matt Gardner perhaps struggling with the pressure of the occasion.

Uni of came back strongly with Dan Jennings and Graeme Sutcliffe taking the point in their group, not being too troubled throughout.

A well-deserved halved point in the third group kept things even but Patrick Copley and Alex Bacon had a late run to win the last four holes and leave the score at Uni of 2.5 – 1.5 Hallam going in to the singles round of the day with eight more points to play for.

With the sun coming out and the course drying up, the confidence in shots was improving, setting up for a fascinating second half of the day.

The even play continued through the day with little to call between the eight pairings.

Nathan Hennessey started off with a strong half point and Matt Gardner recorded his first win of the season.

Adam Pedlar kicked back for Hallam with a convincing win over Dan Jennings and Michael Hudson-Davies managed to squeeze out a point against Graeme Sutcliffe through the last two holes.

Dom Miles kept Uni of with a chance of a win but points to Hallam through Salt and Sabido put Hallam in the lead with one pair to play.

A relatively comfortable win for Bacon followed, not requiring the 18th put the score at 6-6 for day and a share of the Varsity point, a fitting end for an even and exciting day’s play.

This leaves Uni of unbeaten in six consecutive Varsity golf matches.